Sunday, August 19, 2007

I'm Back

Wow!! Finally back to the blog world on my Mac... I took a week-long vacation with my family. I, of course, had a lot of grand plans of books I was going to read, songs I was going to write and things I was going to get done, but time flies faster than I could have imagined.

I spent the first part of the week just chillin' with my wife and kids - watching cheap movies, cleaning out our basement and getting ready for our camping trip. We then spent the second half of of the week camping - tents and sleeping bags (though we were at a KOA so we had showers and indoor plumbing). We had a great time! Some good friends of ours joined us for part of our camping time and we had a blast. Rained a bit but not bad... until....

Torrential downpour on the morning we were breaking camp. Soaked to the bone and most of our camping gear drenched, we left for home, cutting our last day activities short. I would still count it as a great trip.

I actually had planned to do some serious blogging the first part of the week, but with my kids in shock that I was actually on vacation I decided to hold off until we went camping. The comment that got me was, "you mean you're really taking a vacation - from the Mac too?!?!"

Yeah.
Enough said.
I have a problem.

So needless to say, when we got to the KOA with the supposed wifi hotspot, I was disappointed to find the 'wifi' link was a plug in for a modem connection to your own dial-up service... who has dial-up anymore :) So, no blogging. Great time with my wife and kids though.

I love camping... the tents, the campfires, the s'mores, the marshmallow doughboys (if you've never had these, you have to try them), the fishing, the games... lots of good childhood memories. I am finding though as I get older that it would be much easier to go camping in an RV or something of the sort to eliminate the set up and break down time (not to mention give you some protection against the elements) but for now...

How about you? Anyone else like to go camping?
Good camping antidotes?

Have you taken a break lately just to spend undivided time with your family?
Peace.

5 comments:

JonesGardenBlog said...

Oh I've got plenty of stories for you... including the time my big brother Mike woke me up because he had eaten like a dozen marshmallow doughboys and they were about to have their revenge.

Unfortunately I didn't get the tent open quite fast enough.

Nice.

I'm still not sure how you managed to hit MY sleeping bag but not your own.

Davnkaty said...

Katy and I took the Kids camping to cave in the Rock down in south southern Illinois on the Ohio River that borders Kentucky at the point where route 1 crosses the river via ferry. A great trip, $10 a night for the campsite, very rough rugged learned about itch mites type of trip. My biggest complaint was having only two days to do it in. Drove 14 hours down camped, went to garden of the gods- worth the trip in itself very cool place, and came back up. Biggest problem was deciding to go last minuite and not being prepared properly and having to buy the food at resteraunts (OUCH!) still recovering from that. I think you all would love the camping experiance in a popup. I had one for a while that was airconditioned!! had a stove, refridgerator and water heater and shower. Very cool for a pop up trailer. slept 6 and I hauled it with a chevy cavalier. (needed to have the car slightly modified though) After my town put a trailer parking ban in place and I couldn't afford both the trailer payments and storage payments, sold it back to the place I bought it from for a slight loss and went back to tent camping. It was fun though while it lasted.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Not the dreaded marshmallow doughboys?! Did any one get sick? Hopefully, your kids don't over do it like one of mine did :) That was a very exciting night!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried camping with the kids. Doug camped out in the backyard with the older ones last September or October. Very cold night. I thought the kids would be fine. They lasted until 5 am banging on the patio door. Kids had to pee. JD had croup and through himself into a breathing fit (trip to ER) crying that he wanted to stay in the tent. Let's see...where IS that tent now? Hmmm. I used to tent camp a lot when I was single and loved it.

Doug and I camped once. He forgot how much work it is to tent camp. He hadn't camped since he was about 10 or 12 yrs old. Oh that's right. Mom and Dad did all the campsite work while he and his brother rode their bikes.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to make an addition to Joni's post.... When Doug and I were kids, we did no tent camping... We had a pop up camper... Very cool idea actually... Enough of a camper to save you and protect you from the elements, but enough like a tent, to feel your connection to nature.... Might be an option you could look into. And I'm sure its probably much cheaper than an RV!