Monday, August 21, 2006

The Fray

I've been hearing this song "Over My Head" by The Fray everytime I turn on the radio lately. The song is actually about the strained relationship between the lead singer (Isaac Slade) and his brother and they have been playing it on Shine.fm though they are not a 'Christian' band (in terms of genre). In fact, Christianity Today wrote this regarding an interview with them:

The band avoided Christian record labels, saying God called them to the secular market instead. "I feel he would be disappointed with us if we limited ourselves"...
The article goes on to say that Slade used to write all Christian lyrics until he had an epiphany while working a shift at Starbucks: "None of my friends outside the church understood any of my songs; we had a different set of vocabulary," he says. "So I went home and threw away all those songs." He adds, "If I handed somebody a double grande mocha latte and told them, 'Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life,' they might throw it back on me. Slade likens his job to any other. "If you're a painter... Paint well, and if you paint well enough, they might ask you why you do that."

Would what you do, day after day, impact people toward wanting to know Jesus, even if you never told them you were a Christ-follower?

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts! Well said...