Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Recent Read: Confessions of a Pastor

Just finished reading this book, Confessions of a Pastor: Adventures in Dropping the Pose and Getting Real with God by Craig Groeschel. Craig is the lead pastor of Lifechurch.tv - a multi-campus church originating in OK but now with locations in AZ, TX and TN.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has had struggles in their relationship with God. If you've ever felt like you just didn't measure up, either in your own eyes or in how you think others perceive you, you'll enjoy this book.

There's several reasons I liked this book:

  1. It's a fast read. For someone who has a low attention span when it comes to reading this is important. Still took me several days but I can only read little bits at a time. My wife will probably finish it within a couple hours.
  2. It's encouraging. Here's this pastor of a rather large church, one who has successfully implemented the multiple campus method of ministry, yet he struggles with a lot of the same things that I've struggled with. The honesty is refreshing and positively encouraging.
  3. The writing is conversational and about real life. It's like talking with someone who you wouldn't expect to have issues yet having a deep, personal and real conversation. I struggle with some of the same things or have asked the same questions. I almost feel like I know Craig yet I've never met him.
This book also has some great questions for each chapter that would make a great personal study or small group discussion book. Anyway, I don't do this often (mostly because it takes me sooo long to get through a book) but this one was good for me. I hope you enjoy it too.

Peace.

No comments: