Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Lucky Thirteen

I'm not a superstitious person, so the number 13 doesn't bother me... it's the number of years I've been married to my beautiful wife.

This year I wanted to do something that we never get to do. Since our anniversary is on New Years Eve, we have rarely gone out on our actual anniversary date - everyone's partying, it's hard to find sitters for the kids, restaurants are all booked and doing special menus, etc. This year we had some great friends willing to watch our kids for us overnight. I also got some great recommendations for restaurants and hotels in downtown Chicago.

We had a fabulous time together. My wife and I love our kids a lot, but it was great to get to go out on our actual anniversary and celebrate together. We stayed in Hotel 71 and had a room with a great view of the city. The room was nice and the view was excellent. We also got to stay up till about 5 in the morning because of some partying neighbors... maybe I'm getting too old but 5am seemed late to be celebrating the new year.

We had decided to walk to our restaurant from the hotel so we got a little chilled. Fantastic restaurant though! Scott had recommended this place called Aria and I have to give him props! It was one of the best meals we've ever had! It's a bit on the expensive side but the food and environment was incredible. It was more than a meal - it was an experience! The chef at Aria is a freakin' genius with potatoes (Kristen says he's a potato Svengali, which I actually had to lookup as I had only heard it on Seinfeld, but yeah, he's the bomb). My wife and I had great conversation as well. We talked about our memories together and some of the goals we had for this next year. It was a great time together!

After 13 years of marriage, my wife is still my best friend. She is still so fun to hang out with and to just talk with. We've been together for 15 years now counting our dating/engagement time and I still look forward to my time with her. I can't see that ever being something that grows old, even when I do.

Not to mention she's smokin' hot!

Here's some pics we took, though they don't do justice to our experience (photos on the phone), but you get the idea.




































Peace.

5 comments:

Larry Boatright said...

congrats, bro! Sounds like you had a great time, love hearing you talk about your wife like that, it's awesome.

The food looks amazing by the way!

Anonymous said...

Congrats hermano! Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Music to a mom's ears!! I feel the same way about your daddy-37 years and still going strong! Isn't it wonderful to be in love with the one you love?!

Unknown said...

Congrats Mike and Kristen! I wish you 13+++ more!
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Happy way-belated anniversary! It is true. Your wife is smokin' hot. Glad you got to get away. Doug & I did an overnight on our 10th and it was very cool. FYI, it is always apparent how much you love your family. Good job!