Thursday, November 02, 2006

Song of the Week: Where The Streets Have No Name

This week, the Worship team and I sang the song Where The Streets Have No Name by U2. I was just thinking that it talks about having freedom - freedom to tear down walls that have been keeping me from being all God wants me to be, freedom to run, freedom to reach out and do something daring knowing that there is a possibility of being burned or hurt (and being ok with that).

I think the song has lots of different meanings and I know they wrote it probably about this place in Ireland where the streets are only numbers and you can tell someone's religion/monetary status by which side of the street they live on. But this song talks to me about being free to dare and take a chance... to go where people are hurting and lost. I may not know where yet or who, but I know there are lots of places and lots of people that are in need (faceless people and places that don't yet have names to me).

They're still building and burning down love - their hopes have been crushed and they need that hope rebuilt. When I go there I go there with you - we have to do this together. One person CAN make a difference but many people together can make a huge impact. It's all I can do - all I can do is to do something... to go.

On the Live in Boston DVD, Bono introduces the song from the more spiritual perspective, intoning to the audience, "What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation - a toast to God!", referencing Psalm 116:12-14 in The Message (Bible) translation.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... You've put this in a whole new perspective for me! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

There’s a church that is branding the U2 liturgy for the Eucharist, it’s the U2-charist. You can read about it in the USA Today story. *In fifty-years will the U2 hymnal be filled with outdated songs the next generation doesn’t want to sing? Hmm Are we no longer cutting edge?