Friday, June 08, 2007

Dough Dilemma

Yesterday I stopped at a gas station on the way in to work. I was near empty and needed some fuel. I usually swipe my card before pumping but today I decided to pick up something to drink and just pay inside. Stay with me here...

I ended up filling up my tank, which I haven't done in a very long time due to the high prices we're paying out here in the Chicago area - can't afford it. I spaced and before I knew it, the tank was full... $59.

I start walking into the store when I realize I don't have my wallet in my back pocket. I start to panic a little and check again (like I had just been dreaming and it's going to appear where it belongs). I walk back out to my car and check the driver seat and the passenger seat... not there. At this point I start to freak a little.

So I sat in my car trying to figure out my options. What would YOU do?

Peace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

RUN FORREST.....RUN!

Just kidding...

Larry Boatright said...

Here's what I'd do:
I'd go inside and say "I am so sorry but I forgot my wallet and didn't realize I had left my wallet at home until I had paid, I'll be right back with the money. You can take my name and number in case you're afraid I won't come back...

it's S-C-O-T-T-H-O-D-G-E... My number is 630.xxx.xxxx..."

Bill Curley said...

The serious answer to this one is; since you have a cell phone, callthe wife & get the required resources. Never mind that you will endure months of reproof and nagging..

If you are looking at a simpler (possibly more dramatic method of extraction from the problem:

1. go in and admit your problem & leave some security with the store owner

2. Try the "I was abducted by an Alien life form " and that he/she/it stole the wallet and sent it through a time warp to Alpha Centuri and gave me a group of alien rocks that are priceless. Offer the rocks in payment.

Zach said...

So while moving to California I had a similar story. I always pay at the pump, but wanted something to drink. Filled up, went in, bought a drink, forgot to pay for the gas, and realized is about 300 miles later. I just figured out how much it was and put the money in the offering plate. Pretty sure I'm going to have to answer for that one :)

Anonymous said...

I would turn over and hit the snooze button(!)

Anonymous said...

ok -- so how many of you would ever admit to this? prepaying for gas and then forgetting to put it in the car and going back to tell them you just drove off with out pumping???? or would you not????

Anonymous said...

ok, ok-can happen to anyone-but tell me what you did!! Don't leave me hangin'!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I would totally go back and get gas! :)
Wait..what?

What would Jesus do? Hmm. I know. Go get a fish and pull the $59 out of its mouth!

Anonymous said...

First, I would be praising God that it only cost $59 to fill up my truck. Then I would probably do what Larry suggested.