Thursday, January 25, 2007

Focus

Ever notice how when you focus on something that you begin to see it in more places around you?

For example, if you focus on the color red and think about the color red and look at some things that are red for several minutes, you will begin to see things that are either red or have red in them (maybe things you never noticed before).


Have you ever been shopping for a particular car and then afterward you start noticing more and more of that make and model on the road? It's like everyone is buying them! In reality, they may have been around you all along, but now in some area of your brain you've become focused on this vehicle. It's everywhere you turn.

If you stop focusing on it, your awareness of the object will dissipate. You're probably not still thinking about the color red, right? :)

What's also interesting is that sometimes we can focus on something to the point we start seeing the opposite image of what we have given our attention (you see the negative side of things instead of the positive). The red square on this post - focus on it for a long enough period of time, you will actually see the negative (a blue-green) when you look away from it.

What are you focusing on today?
What draws your attention?
What are you most aware of?
What do you seem to see every time you turn around?

Peace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I have to answwer?

Anonymous said...

I am focusing on the fact that no one will play with me:)... sorry, just couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

I'm focusing on words to a song I'm learning and it completely consumed my naptime. Will try sleeping another time.

Hey, if I understand the negative theory, if I focus on the sound of my children playing quite loud, eventually I will hear quiet right? Fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Noticing none of us commenting took this seriously! When I focus on listening to God, I totally see themes--every message, bible passage, song, anything seems to be about one basic idea he's communicating to me. Scary. But fun.

Bill Curley said...

Strangely enough, I seldom find the cars I have purchased on the road. Wonder why?

Anonymous said...

I actually used this thought in a Bible study on Sunday night. Thanks, hermano!

Anonymous said...

Great reminder, man. I've been trying to spend time focusing on the armor of God recently. I've been going through the mental process of putting it on in the mornings and am amazed at how much more faithful I am when I've done so. I started it this morning and then became distracted and as a result, my day has been all over the place.

BTW, I live in Brownsburg and am a part of the body in Plainfield with a group meeting in our homes.