Friday, January 12, 2007

In the Quiet

I sat in the dark of our auditorium today just being still, being quiet. Listening, seeking, wondering and dreaming. It was probably one of the most rewarding experiences of my day.

When do you seek God? Is it only when you go to church (and maybe that's only a couple of times a year)? We typically seek something greater than ourselves when we have reached our limit.

When we have reached the point where we can't seem to do anything else on our own.

What about all the other times?

We began a new series at The Orchard this last Sunday called Soul Cravings and started talking about the deep things... the things our soul just innately craves. We were designed to have these, almost primal longings for our Creator. Sometimes we don't understand it or maybe haven't identified with it in a very long time. Maybe we've shut it away for so long we don't even remember, but it's there. If you search deep down, every human being has been wired to seek out something higher than himself.

To ask questions. To search for answers from someone outside of themselves.

I challenge you to seek out God today, even if for the first time. To find some quiet place and just search for Him. I promise if you chase after him you'll find He's been waiting for you all along.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Mother's Day gift ever was 3 hours to myself outside the house. Usually I'd use the time shopping or running errands but this was a gift for me personally. I sat in a coffee shop with a notebook and a bible. I read from a bible plan I'd started earlier in the year and wrote down thoughts as they came to me randomly. I can relate to the whole craving thing. It was such a rich refreshing time. I need to figure out how to do that more often than special occasions and not fall into the temptation of using my quiet time to "get something done".

Anonymous said...

Great posting Mike! Isn't it unreal how we schedule the most random things.We make time for them and the one thing we could really use,time alone with God we get too busy to do. Thanks for reminding us.I think an hour searching for God would serve me better than using the hour to catch up on daily Soap Operas.