Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fantastic Fourth

My wife already posted about our great day together as a family.
We had a lot of fun together.

I have a wonderful family - more than I could have asked our imagined. My hope is that July 4th, 2007 will be as great of a memory for my kids as it was for me.

I concur with my wife that it was one of the best fireworks displays I've ever seen. It can't get much better than sitting in the middle of a well kept golf course on a blanket with the fireworks exploding right in front of you and even right above you.

I tried to convince my kids that those who were executing the pyrotechnics were creative artists - they choose which part of the sky (canvas) to explode the fireworks, which colors and when. They also work with sound, anticipation, effects and use a combination of those things to draw the participant into what is happening.

I felt a connection for sure as a creative arts guy.
I can't say my kids did.
Hopefully they can block that part of the memory when they recall our time together :)

How was your Independence celebration?

Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot. As I told your wife. 118. 150 in the parking lot.

Other than that it was fun.

The kids were hot, but it didn't keep them from playing, or running to the cooler every two minutes for a juice box.

Bill Curley said...

Due to circumstances beyond my control, all I did was hear the noise of fireworks noise makers; but, that did not deter me in the least. The evening in the new house was peaceful & Sara did not even notice the commotion outside. Watched a gastly movie called "Blood Diamond". Keith is such a complainer about the weather; of course in Globe it was only about 90.

Anonymous said...

Had a great time listening to live music from Orchestra 33(Doug's college roommate plays keys) in Oakbrook Terrace. Played in the park til dark, got the kids light sticks--their first, then watched the fireworks. Great show even with the obligatory Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" finale. Annaliese didn't scream at all. Just sat in my lap with hands over her ears and Maddie "woo hooed" after each one.

Anonymous said...

Well we had our annual Zepeda/ Schuler families BBQ. It gets bigger every year. My cousin invites all of our family. Her husband invites all of his. (he has 10 siblings) We eat, swim, play horse shoes, bean bags, volleyball, basketball, and share stories of past present and future! Its really awesome. I think this year there was a total of 127 that came in and out through out the day. My night ended parked in a parking lot with Gabe watching the fireworks, lighting sparklers, and eating ice cream. Gabe doesn't like loud noises so we have to keep our distance. We were actually able to see 3 different cities from where we were. Aurora, North Aurora, and Sugar Grove!

lvarkonda said...

Mike,
Oh my goodness due I miss your family! Our fourth at camp was crazy for me...fun for kids, but planning a fourth of july celebration for 300 kids is sort of a challenge. Always rewarding to watch them all have a blast and just crash into bed at night!
I'm glad you all had a wonderful holiday..tell Faith and Kylee and Seth and Joshua and Kristen and Jasmine that I say hello and hope to get out there in September!
Leeanne