Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Great Pumpkin

We have this tradition with my kids that we really enjoy. I have some fond memories of carved pumpkins from when I was a kid too. I remember being in college and carving a watermelon because I couldn't find a pumpkin in any of the stores. It turned out well and did it in kind of a frankenstein design.

Anyway, since my kids were old enough to do so, they've choose pumpkins and chosen a design they want carved on them. I cut the tops off them, they dig out all the seeds and we carve them up. Kristen makes a variety of sweet and salty treats out of the seeds while the carving commences.

I know a lot of people do this, but it seems like a fun memory with my kids.

The last couple of years it seems like our designs and carvings have steadily been better and better. These are the ones from this year. Can you tell which one is the boys' and which one is the girls'?


Any of you do similar or better designs (links to pics please)?
Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't my children and grandchildren marvelously talented?! They are both incredible. I'm guessing the cat is the girls and the prirate is the boys-am I right?

kristen said...

I remember that watermelon pumpkin! It was the best one ever! I also remember trying to get all the fruit out of it, what a pain! I wish we had a picture of it somewhere!!

K.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are quite a pumpkin carver!
I have pictures of the Frankenstein watermelon jack-o-lantern thingy. That was awesome! We certainly had the coolest and most unique carved food object around that year. I'll look for the pictures, try to scan them, and send them off to you!
-Alicia :0)

Anonymous said...

I am so bummed I didn't get to the pumpkin carving thing this year. Fortunately the buckets of candy the kids received seemed to ease the blow. I'm pretty sure they didn't notice.