Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Switchfoot Rocked My Face Off!

Dang!!! I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting but whatever it was got totally blown away by Jon Foreman and Switchfoot!! What a great show!

We took Dave, Deb, Izzy and Lynn as part of our Orchard Arts recruiting 'thanks' in September to see the concert. My entire team did a great job of recruiting volunteers this last month, but only one got to go on the trip this time (along with his recruit).







Had an interesting experience trying to get some food before the show but I'll let Dave share that one sometime. Star Plaza Theatre is a cool venue because it holds a few thousand people but keeps the entertainment intimate with the crowd. VERY loud or I'm just getting old, though I don't know if I would have wanted it any other way.

It was great getting to talk with the folks in our group and get to know them a bit (and for them to get to know my wife a little).







Relient K was pretty good too - some very talented musicians and very fun entertainers, though I had a really hard time hearing the lead vocals in the mix. Their first drum hit dropped the huge banner that is behind them, which visually was cool. Switchfoot had an LED type deal for their background which they changed colors on and sent various designs through - I think we need something like that at the Orchard!








Let me tell you, Jon Foreman is running all over the stage, jumping off the kick drum, banging on cymbals, walking on the seats out into the crowd and he hardly sounded winded at all! He did not miss a note. Man, does he have some great vocals!! They sounded as good if not better than their CD's. Great medley pieces they put together to pull in as many of their tunes as possible. Most came off the new CD, Oh! Gravity, along with Nothing Is Sound.

The last picture here is of Jon about 10 feet from us when he walked out into the crowd with some rope lighting and his mic. He then started his next song from there which was awesome!



















Wish you could have been there. I did see one of my other multimedia guys and his family there - they had third row seats! Dawg!

Great show - don't miss the opportunity if you get one to check them out live!
Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the lights we're getting for the Orchard right?
Could you imagine? We'd all need sunblock!

Anonymous said...

i probably look like elphaba from wicked considering how green i turning right now! that is so awesome that you got to go mike... switchfoot is my favorite band EVER! jon foreman is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Mike-
I saw them in Chicago last year. Jealous of you... thanks for the pics though! Feels like I was there! (man it was loud!)
kz