Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Great Reading Date

Yesterday evening I had the chance to finally take my daughter Kylee out on a date.

She is so fun to hang out with! I assured her that time would fly and she soon might not find it cool to go out on a date with her old dad, she said that would never happen... and that I wasn't old :) I told her I didn't feel old and just smiled back.

To help encourage our kids to read this school season, we set up a reading reward system (you can read about it on Kristen's blog). This system has been great with the reward being that after a certain number of hours of reading, the boys get a date with mom and the girls, a date with dad. The kids have done exceedingly well with this!

So, Kylee and I got to go out this week and she wanted to get steak. What can I say, she's my girl! So we had a nice dinner where I got the line of the night - "Wow this is so good! Not as good as mommy's, but very, VERY good!" Thought that was funny.

We stopped to get some coffee together and then went to pick up a shirt for her mom to wear to the concert on Tuesday night.

Kylee is such a bright kid and I love her a lot. It was truly a memorable experience and I look forward to her reading many more hours and us having the chance to go out and have fun again.

My prayer is that when she does really begin dating, that she is respected, cared for and treated as kind.

I still don't look forward to those days :)

Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dating is a perfectly healthy thing for a 25 year old girl to do.

That way she has time to earn her third degree black belt.

:)

Anonymous said...

Love you Daddy I had a great time with you also!!!

Love Kylee

Anonymous said...

You're laying some VITAL groundwork for those days. Spending one on one time with her will instill value in her. Especially what behavior she should expect from her date. And having you model that for her sets a high standard that will serve her well I believe. We have friends who do this with their daughters and we now watch their oldest living on her own, make good choices.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike I thinks its awesome what you guys are doing that is a great way to grow a stronger relatinship with the family. BTW that is why she has her daddy there for to watch out for those who will not respect her! Great pic.
Angie and Adrian

Leeanne said...

Hey Mike,
I used to look forward all week to my dates with my daddy and it lasted all the way through high school when he used to take me out for breakfast early before school. The time you spend with Kylee will mean so much to her in the years to come - and it will make a difference when she comes to date guys. Plus, she'll come to you to talk about it because your relationship is so close! I'm 23 and I still love hanging out with my dad. :)
Hope you guys are doing well.