Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bubba on Golf

Last weekend, I couldn't resist going out to play a round of hack golf with my good friend Willem in NC. Him and I used to go tear up a local course out there at least once a week when I lived there - it was cheap and we always had a blast. I am not a golfer by any means but it was cool building a relationship with Willem.

So I called the course to make sure I had brought clothes that were ok to wear on the course and in the clubhouse since I've actually showed up under dressed to a course before and told I couldn't play. Who knew!

The conversation went kind of like this:
Me: Uh, yes, can you tell me what your dress code is to play the golf course there?

Bubba (or similar name - u pick): Your what?

Me: The dress code for the golf course...

Bubba: (big pause here)... well it's cold out today so yer better dress warm!

Me: (struggling not to laugh my tail off) - no what I mean is, am I allowed to wear jeans and a t-shirt and play golf on the course there?

Bubba: Shoot man! Ya can wear bib overalls iffin you want to, I reckon.

Me: Ok, I think we're good here.

Bubba: Yeah, shirt and shoes'll work too.

My wife thought I needed to change the above conversation to be both politically and grammatically correct but hey, that's how it happened...

Now this conversation is probably not NEAR as entertaining unless you imagine Bubba's accent, the fact that he might-a-been gnawing on something ranging from chaw to roadkill and probably about 4x my age (alright so maybe not that old, but the rest aint far off).

Ok now, why don't we re-enact this together to get the full effect... just kidding. Welcome to the south! (Disclaimer - I have plenty of southern friends and acquaintances who may not get this - for one, they are not originally from the south or two, this conversation is perfectly normal - man I love you guys!)

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey-don't feel bad. The courses here in Glasgow, Ky area, not only do not have a dress code-except maybe one-but you don't even need to call and make a tee time-just walk in!